Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Thrilled 32 -- Round Two / Day Three

Salutations Good People,

Looking at the card for the match-ups tonight, it makes me regret not getting to it sooner! Some big names and heavy hitters squaring off tonight -- I should have saved it for tomorrow to end the week off right.  Having Aneel and Jessica (Hicks) on the same night was a mistake; I should have planned that out better.  If any two people are going to bicker about the outcomes of tonight -- regardless of the outcome -- it will be these two.  Daddy may have to pull the car over tomorrow to tell them to knock it off.  Oh well, let's get this into gear and get on the road...

4) Greg vs. 5) Ace Griffin 
Previously, in the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions: Greggers kicked off this Tournament with a win over El Tigre Jeffcoat (Christian name: Anthony Brownen), in what was kind of an upset because when I was drawing up the different scenarios, I almost always had Tony winning that first round.  But, I talked myself out of it while writing up the match-up last week.  Meanwhile, Ace Griffin made quick work of Trethewy in the opening round of the Tournament to stamp his ticket for the Thrilled 32.  And, now, here we are.

Both of these guys are good guys, Good People, of whom I have a great amount of respect for: Ace Griffin could very well be the Patron Saint of Animated Story-Telling, with as many voices as he has stories to go with them; and the stories are always good.  Greg is the Patron Saint of (of all things) June Bugs -- while it is not clear whether or not this was a title earned through passion for the June Bugs specifically, or just a general defense of life, it is clear that he saved those June Bugs from certain demise from Penny and Pilot (their cats), stating that the June Bugs "deserved a chance" at life. Touching words from a touching soul. And, in the hopes of what I believe to be ice tea vodkas cocktails awaiting me on Friday evening, I will advance Greg to the Smooth 16 round of the Tournament of Champions.

2) Dana vs. 7) Aneel
Previously, in the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions: Dana, oddly quiet during the Tournament of Champions thus far, didn't have too much trouble with 15) Bradach in the opening round of the Tournament, as I rarely see Bradach and since he exists off the grid, he is truly the only person that I can say: "When I see him, that's when I see him." Aneel, on the other hand, came into this Tournament looking to improve upon his Thrilled 32 finish last year (when he was eliminated by Guamie, must to his disappointment), and has been -- quite possibly -- more involved in this Tournament than anyone else outside of my room. Getting his 2013 campaign started by taking out 10) Greg Arte last week.

If going by the numbers, Dana wins this contest flat-out: his 2-seed is there for a reason, as he is one of my better friends and, during football season, I think I text him every day at least once and then see him on the weekends for the games.  If going by familiarity, Dana wins this contest: he and I go way back to our days at the U (of P).  And, if going by NFL allegiances, Dana wins this contest: Go big or go home, but always -- ALWAYS -- go Niners. And, while all very true statements, they are also all "If" statements, too.  For one, as I had to address Benedetti's condemnation of advancing a Seahawks fan over a Niners fan earlier this week, the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions is bigger than NFL loyalties, bigger than any one person, or even an ideology; and so, while Aneel likes the Saints (even though the Lions are closer and would make more geographical sense), that doesn't mean a thing in this Tournament.  And, while Dana does hold the higher seed, all 64 people who started this Tournament are the best of the best -- if it was the top 64 out of 70, well, then perhaps you can really place weight on the seeding. But, the top 64 out of some 550?? Yeah, the seeding doesn't real mean that much, if you think about it. And while nothing can change the fact that I have known Dana longer and that I know Dana better than Aneel, it is equally true that nothing can be done to show that Aneel has way more invested in this Tournament than Dana does-- and I'm not sure if that is a compliment for Aneel, or not, haha. Anyway, Aneel came into this Tournament ready to play and, more importantly, to win, and so I'm not going to stand in his way in this match-up and advance him to the Smooth 16.
 
3) Jess Hicks vs. 11) Kristin
Previously, in the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions: Jessica made her return to the Thrilled 32 by eliminating 14) Michelle, in what would probably be considered not a major upset.  Meanwhile, in what could be considered an upset, Kristin-- in her Tournament debut-- advanced to the Thrilled 32 by defeating, fellow UP legend, 6) Dani Schwanz.  And here we are in what, on any other day, could be a prime candidate for the Marquee Match-Up.

I don't really need to make much of a case for Jessica in this one -- anyone who has kept up with any of these antics of mine and contests/events, knows Jessica (if by only name and reference). So, I don't need to spend a lot of time talking about why she should get over this Thrilled 32 hump (she was stopped last year by the Great Morgan Bridges, becoming the first 1-seed in 2012 to fall); we all know those reasons quite well.  Kristin, on the other hand, making her Tournament debut is a bit of a mystery.  For a lot of the same reasons that I could justify advancing Jessica to the Smooth 16 round of the Tournament, I could make similar cases for Kristin: she is fun to be around; a good person (I believe); and she also bakes delicious brownies.......from scratch....(said in a way to make it sound more impressive).  And while, sure, when we were at the White Eagle the other weekend and in a hurry, but Maui (for some strange reason) decided to order a bunch of sides -- mini-corn dogs, french fries, and tots -- Kristin did opt to poor ketchup ON TO the wax paper with the tots..... therefore making transporting leftover tots via said wax paper, bundled like a cocoon now impossible (or, at the very least, messy and impractical)... and, yes, that did bother me.  I like tots.  I like tots without the stain of condiment residue, as well.  But, hey, that's just me. I mentioned that, on any other night, that this had Marquee Match-Up potential written all over it, and I meant it.  This could go either way, quite honestly.  Jess, on the one hand, I haven't chatted with as much recently, and Kristin put ketchup on the wax paper with the tots. ((balances hands to convey their equality))  No matter what I say here, it is going to draw controversy-- if I'm for Jess, then I'm a son of a gun; if I'm for Kristin, then I'm a son of a gun.... just like Billy Mitchell.  I wish I had that clip but I can't find it on YouTube, sadly.... anyway, being a Commissioner means making the tough calls that no one else wants to make and so I'll advance.....Jes--wait, no...Kristin....uhhh...hmm... no, no, we'll go with Jess--- but Kristin has been more reactionary...fine, Kristin it is. Final answer.
 

...And now, the Marquee Match-Up for the Night, presented by My Voice Music, who reminds you that you hold the power to make a difference in the lives of the children in our community through introducing them to the majesty of song and the power of their own mind and creativity. Two really cool and fun ways you can do your part: "Bingo & Booze" tomorrow night (Thurs., 5/16), 7pm at Radio Room in NE Portland... AND/OR....The Oregon Public House Grand Opening, this Friday (May 17) all...night...long going to benefit the programs of My Voice Music.
 
1) Nicole vs. 8) Meredith
Previously, in the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions: Nicole narrowly got past 16) Amanda last week; in all honesty, I had not heard from Nicole in what felt like months (so much so that I thought that maybe she was ignoring me or had gotten a new number and neglected to inform me of this change -- to which I joked about how disturbing it was that the new recipient of my messages wasn't correcting the error) and so I was all sorts of prepared to pull a legendary, and wildly unprecedented, 16-over-1-seed move.  BUT, then Nicole came out to play (figuratively), because that is what champions do: they show up when they need to; and Nicole is, certainly, a champion--NAY! A Champion of Champions.  Meanwhile, Meredith had a little bit more of a challenge getting into the Thrilled 32 having to go through a personal legend in my mind, 9) Alissa, who, for reasons I waxed poetically on last week, is forever connected to a very important moment in my life-- that sort of legend is not easy to get past, but Meredith did it; and here she is, faced with yet another strong challenge.

The fact is: Nicole has never lost in the May Mayhem Tournament of Champions.  Her overall record (13-0) is unmatched; she is the only person to ever win the Tournament of Champions.  In 2010, she won on the basis of familiarity and dear-closeness; in 2011, she defended her title as Champion of Champions through a grueling few rounds of trivia, ultimately defeating Sarah SLC Carter in a best-of-seven trivia showdown, with a final score of 4-3.  Now, I can sit here and speak highly of Meredith, as well (and I intend to), because Meredith -- while I don't know as well as I know Nicole -- is clearly an impressive force in the Tournament on the basis of what she has accomplished so far: Let us not overlook Alissa here; Alissa is one of my favorite people all-time. There are not many people that I link directly to a Top 5 Most Important Moment in My Life, and Alissa is one of them. And sure, Meredith has been more active in keeping up with the Tournament happenings than Nicole has, but, again: Nicole is the two-time defending Champion of Champions.  Nicole is very special to me and even though I don't see her really at all anymore (she moved to SE Washington a few years back), she is still someone that I have an immense amount of respect and admiration for.  The fact of the matter is, Nicole has never lost in this Tournament of Champions, and she is, truly, one of the great champions in my life. Which makes it newsworthy to state that she will not be seeing 14-0, as Meredith advances to the Smooth 16 and opens up a Pandora's box of possibilities, now with the reigning champion vanquished.

-Ryan.
Commissioner
The May Mayhem Tournament of Champions

No comments:

Post a Comment